Living in Belgium - French community


Social and financial assistance offices are set up in universities as support and information centres. International applicants can contact these services to find out more about their rights and obligations and to find answers to any social or administrative question they may have regarding their student life. These services help students to make their first contacts and to find their way through the necessary administrative procedures.

Furthermore, in almost every university there is a mobility centre entirely dedicated to students interested in undertaking a research project. These centres assist incoming researchers and doctoral applicants and their family, starting in their home country and continuing until they have settled in Belgium. International students can thus receive information, as well as customised assistance, on all matters relating to their professional and daily life.

Candidates can find further information on services for international doctoral candidates on the following websites:

Visa and residency permit

Non-European candidates wishing to enrol in a doctorate can apply for a student residency permit. If their stay is longer than 90 days they will need a type D visa. The application for a residency permit / visa must be made to the Belgian Embassy in the candidates' country of origin. Prior to the application for this type of visa, doctoral candidates need to contact the registration department of the host university.


Implemented by:
CampusFrance DAAD European Community
Nuffic British Council Eurodoc IIE